Questions & Answers

What type of funding can I get for my support needs?


The department of Health and Social Services have launched a nationwide initiative to help people to fund their care and at the same time to allow choice in how their care is provided. This is called ‘Direct Payments’ or ‘Self Directed Support’.  At Caledonia Homecare we are keen to help with this initiative and welcome the opportunity to assist our customers in any way we can. We will be happy to provide you with the local perspective. Self Directed Support is the term that used to describe the ways in which Social Care Services and support will be offered to individuals and families. This means that people will have the information about the different ways that services and support can be provided for them so that they can choose the way that is best for them.

Click here for more detailed information


What is Self Directed Support?

Self-Directed Support (SDS) legislation lets a person (child or adult) who is eligible for social care and support have as much choice and control as they are able to, of their social care services.The SDS legislation has 4 options for managing your care and support.


What is an advocate and how do I get one?


Advocacy in all its forms seeks to ensure that people, particularly those
who are most vulnerable in society, are able to:


•   Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them.

•   Defend and safeguard their rights.

•   Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are  
    being made about their lives.


Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to:


•   Express their views and concerns.

•   Access information and services.

•   Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities.

•   Explore choices and options


An advocate is someone who provides advocacy support when you need it. An advocate might help you access information you need or go with you to meetings or interviews, in a supportive role. You may want your advocate to write letters on your behalf, or speak for you in situations where you don’t feel able to speak for yourself.


You can make a referral on your own behalf by contacting Advocacy Services Aberdeen (who are and independent advocacy service).  They work with people using health and social care services. They can be contacted on 01224 332314 or

How do I arrange a care service with Caledonia Homecare?

Contact Caledonia Homecare and make an appointment for us to visit you for a chat about how Caledonia Homecare can work for you. We are happy to visit you at home to discuss ways we can help and then, once you have decided, you simply leave the rest to us!


What if I don't like my care package or want to make changes?


We will review your care plan on a regular basis and pre agreed intervals. We welcome the contribution from family and advocates in assisting to ensure that the care we provide is delivered in a person centred way at the highest possible standard.

What tasks will my care worker carry out?


We agree a ‘Care Plan’ which details exactly what you have instructed us to do. This then becomes the work list for each day. Click here for details of the care services we can provide. As part of our ongoing and unique relationship with pharmacies, we are also able to  administer your medication.


How can I be sure that my care worker will stay the full period of the care visit and carry out all the tasks?


We take a considered and comprehensive approach to ensuring that your care service is exactly what is required. After every visit the care worker will write the details of activities undertaken during the visit in the care record (which is retained by the customer). In addition, the customer is asked to record their satisfaction by signing the care worker's timesheet, which is returned to the Caledonia Homecare office each week for checking. 

How can I know if your service is legitimate and what
safeguards do I have?


Caledonia Homecare is registered with the Care Inspectorate and we have a grading of VERY GOOD. We are also insured for public liability insurance up to £10,000,000 (Ten Million Pounds)


The Care Inspectorate regulates and inspects care services in Scotland to make sure that they meet the right standards. They also jointly inspect with other regulators to check how well different organisations in local areas work to support adults and children. 


For further information about the care inspectorate and the services that they inspect and grade please go to